Things have happened quickly! After only six measurable follicles over 11 mm on Thursday (stim day 6) and an E2 level of 709, I returned yesterday to find that I had over 30 measurable follicles and an E2 level of 2534. The doctor was concerned about a risk of hyperstimulation with that rise, and directed me to stop all stims immediately. I was concerned–I’d only stimmed for 7.5 days (I do Menopur in the morning and Gonal-F in the evening) and I didn’t have any follicles over 16 mm (and most were more like 12-13). How could it be time to stop already? I went back this morning and found that they were right–the follicles had grown a lot, with one at 24, one at 22 and a bunch at 16-18. (I had a total of 38 measurable, although many of those were in the 12-14 mm range and will likely be immature.) The clinic called later this afternoon and told me my E2 was only 3216–they were much happier with the slower rise (likely a result of stopping stims). I trigger tonight at 8:30 pm for an 8:30 am retrieval Tuesday morning. I can’t believe it’s already here! I was expecting a Wednesday or Thursday retrieval, not Tuesday. Unfortunately Colin can’t make the retrieval since he has to work. (He has Wednesdays off, so I’d been hoping for a Wednesday retrieval.) But if we end up with a fresh 5-day transfer, that will be on a Sunday and he could go for that!
Speaking of a fresh transfer, that’s still up the air, but looking more likely to be possible given my lower than expected E2. Fingers crossed! I know that delaying 8 weeks isn’t the end of the world, but it would be a disappointing setback at the moment. My doctor also said that if we are allowed to do a fresh transfer, she would likely only allow us to transfer one embryo, as the higher hCG level from a twin pregnancy makes OHSS worse. I’d really prefer to transfer two (despite being aware of the risks with twins) but will be happy with either. Fingers crossed!